I always have been fascinated by photography.
But with the introduction of the digital camera it all became too easy, too predictable …to me.
So I forced myself to go back to the roots of real analog photography.
Not just by making the photograph itself, but by controlling the entire photographic process.

This brought me back to the middle of the 19th century, to the amazing Collodion wet plate process.
And every single day I feel challenged to refine and improve myself.


For my website please visit : www.alextimmermans.com

Alex Timmermans
Holland


"You don't take a picture, it's given to you"

maandag 11 maart 2013

Beautiful Hermagis 350 mm petzval

So now and then you have those Lucky finds.
Recently I found a Hermagis petzval.  This one actually looks like new although it was made around 1862!
Most of you will know by now that I have weakness for Hermagis.
Not only because of the optical quality of these lenses but also because of the excellent finish and the fantastic engravings.

This lens which LOOKS like an “objectif a Transformation” but actually isn’t.
Normally these lenses were convertible to a landscape lens. Like the one in the picture.
On the bottom of the lens hood you can see a thread which is needed to convert them.
Now have a look at my lens.
You can see the thicker part at the hood, but no thread.
  So somehow it was delivered not being able to convert.
In the box (which I assume isn’t original) there is a original set of waterhouse stops
and a small letter addressed to Colonel de Craversay, stamped 1937.
Although the writing is very difficult to read, it contains some information about
this lens like the design, focal length etc.

This combination makes it a very piece of optical history.
 






 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten